Date: Sunday, May 28, 2017
Time: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM (EST)
Online Pre-Registration Period:
From Wednesday, March 8, 2016 @ 12:00 AM (EST) to Sunday, May 21, 2017 @ 11:59 PM (EST)
Sign up at https://goo.gl/forms/Q6wq3Vp8qzm8saGj2
On Site Registration and Doll Drop Off:
Friday, May 26, 2017 - 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM (EST)
Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)
Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM (EST)
Doll Pick Up:
Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM (EST)
For hundreds of years, we have used the magic of folklore and fantasy to try and understand the world we live in. From tales as old as time to modern-day retellings, fairytales have always been a big part of many cultures. Make up your doll as one of the characters in your favourite fairytale, and in doing so share the story with the rest of the Doll North attendees. Books, movies, television, and other mediums are amazing ways to find inspiration to help bring your character to life. If you want, feel free to add your own interpretation and style to the character to make them unique to your story.
The 2017 Masquerade will be separated into three (3) size-based categories as follows:
- 1/3 Scale: 50 cm and over
- 1/4 Scale: 30 cm to 49 cm
- 1/6 Scale: 29 cm and under
The Young Fan category is open to fans who are 13 years of age or younger. Dolls of all sizes may participate in this category.
- Each participant is restricted to ONE doll in the Doll Masquerade.
- Each entrant must have a valid Anime North badge; valid badges include General Day and Weekend Admissions, Doll North Admissions, Exhibitor, and Dealer passes.
- Each entry will be judged on Display and Reference by our esteemed panel of judges. (Please see below for details on each component)
- To qualify your entry must reflect a Fairytale character from either literature, TV, or film (stage and artwork interpretations also accepted).
- Each entry is required to be displayed on a doll stand, entrants may purchase or craft their own doll stand. Entrants may choose to minimally decorate the stand or stand base, but it is not to be used as a backdrop. Dolls with stands that take up too much horizontal space (significantly more than the width of their doll) may face disqualification. Please ensure the stand supports your doll as securely as possible, while Doll North will take every precaution possible, we are not liable if your stand causes your doll to fall over and/or damage your doll or cosplay. If a stand is found to be inadequate and putting other displays at risk by falling over, your entry may be subject to disqualification and removal from the competition.
- Entrants are not required to be present during judging.
- Entrants are required to drop off their dolls for display in the Masquerade area during drop off hours on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (times listed above). Dolls will be displayed in a Masquerade display area, this area will be directly supervised and watched by a Doll North Staff member at all times during operational hours. Attendees may photograph your doll in this area, but your dolls will at no time be touched or bumped by attendees. The dolls will be stored in an area that is locked overnight on Friday and Saturday along with our Charity Raffle and Prize Dolls, this area is only accessible by the Doll North coordinator, Crowne Plaza Office Manager, and select hotel staff. Entries must be received by no later than Sunday at 10:00am. No late entries will be accepted.
- All participants will be required to produce at least one reference picture that clearly depicts their chosen character or inspiration for the outfit they have created. Your reference card should be displayed in a simple frame (minimal, or seamless acrylic found at stores like Dollarama). Please be mindful of obstructing other entrants with your reference material. (Further details are given in the judging breakdown)
- Participants may not reuse cosplays previously entered in a Doll North competition or in any other judged competition, this includes but is not limited to conventions, online competitions, and company hosted competitions.
- The Doll North Masquerade Reps reserve the right to eliminate anyone from competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience or other entries, or for any other reason deemed sufficient. Flagrant or repeat violations of the rules may result in a ban from future competitions at the Doll North Masquerade Reps discretion.
Valid Doll Types
The following doll types are valid for entry in the Doll Masquerade:
- Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls (Resin and Vinyl)
- Non-Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls
- Pullip Dolls
- Blythe Dolls
- Monster High Dolls/Even After High
- Momoko Dolls
- Dollfie Dream Dolls
- Obitsu Dolls
- Azone Dolls
Please note: Out of respect for doll artisans, distributors, and sculptors that support Doll North we ask that recasts are not entered in the Doll Masquerade. Recast dolls identified in the Doll Masquerade will be disqualified.
The Display Component is worth 80% of your evaluation.
Outfit: Outfit components can be handmade or purchased, greater points will be awarded to entrants that have hand crafted their outfits. If you have included purchased items in your outfit you must list the items on your registration form. You will be judged based on workmanship, execution, and adherence to the overall theme.
Accessories: Items not expected to be handcrafted such as wigs, shoes, eyes, hardware, doll stands and belts will be judged for their adherence to the theme material and how well they incorporate with the entire outfit. Bonus points may be awarded for handmade items such as wigs, shoes, doll stands and eyes.
Props: Points can also be earned for prop creation when applicable to the theme material, only props that have been handmade will impact the Display Component.
Face Up: Points can be awarded to dolls with custom face ups to match their source material. Only dolls that have face ups painted by the contestant may be judged on their face up. Contestants may choose to NOT have their face up included in judging. Please indicate on the registration form if you would like your face up to be inclued in your entry.
The Reference Component is worth 20% of your evaluation.
Contestants must include one single 4” x 6” card to accompany your entry. This card must include at least one color image of your character or theme inspiration. Your reference card should be displayed in a simple frame (minimal, or seamless acrylic found at stores like Dollarama). Please be mindful of obstructing other entrants with your reference material.
Other items you may include on your card:
- Fabric Samples
- Additional Inspiration photos
- Draft sketches
- A few written notes of stand out items you feel the judges should notice.
Reference Card Examples:
Doll North will generate a Label Card for each entrant, with information provided on your masquerade registration. You do not need to include the information from your Label Card on your Reference Card:
- Your Name
- Size Category
- Company Name and Sculpt of Doll
- Source Material
- Name of Cosplay Character
Doll North will post a few sample cards to our social media prior to the con as examples.
The judging panel will consist of esteemed individuals of notable standing in the doll community. Judges will be announced at the event to avoid favoritism or tampering.
Doll North will award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons for each size category. In partnership with generous 2017 sponsors Doll North may award prizes to the winners based on availability.
Additionally, attendees will have the option to vote for a Fan Favourite. Please see the Masquerade desk for ballots.
We will also be awarding participation prizes for the young fan division. If a category has under three (3) entries Doll North reserves the right to merge the category with the category with the next fewest entries.