Date: Sunday, May 24, 2015
Time: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM (EST)
Online Pre-Registration Period:
From February, March 13, 2015 @ 4:00 PM (EST) to Friday, May 15, 2015 @ 11:59 PM (EST)
Sign up at http://goo.gl/forms/Udb8mzdLsp
On Site Registration and Doll Drop Off:
Friday, May 22, 2015 - 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EST)
Saturday, May 23, 2014 - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EST)
Doll Pick Up:
Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM (EST)
Theme: Get Your Geek On
Express yourself by creating a costume for your doll which reflects a character or inspiration from a subject of which you consider yourself an ultimate Geek. Genres may include Anime/Manga, Sci-Fi, Comic Books/ Superheroes, Video Games, Fantasy, Historical and Steampunk.
The 2015 Masquerade will be separated into three (3) size-based categories as follows:
- 1/3 Scale: 50 cm and over
- 1/4 Scale: 30 cm to 49 cm
- 1/6 Scale: 29 cm and under
The Young Fan category is open to fans who are 13 years of age or younger. Dolls of all sizes may participate in this category.
- Each participant is restricted to ONE doll in the Doll Masquerade.
- Each entrant must have a valid Anime North badge; valid badges include General Day and Weekend Admissions, Exhibitor, and Dealer passes.
- Each entry will be judged on Display and Portfolio by our esteemed panel of judges. (Please see below for details on each component)
- To qualify your entry must reflect or demonstrate a character or draw inspiration from one of the following:
- Anime or Manga
- Television and Movie Media (includes costumes that may not fall under the Sci-Fi or Fantasy genre)
- Comic Books/Superheroes
- Video Games
- Fantasy Genre
- Historical Genre
- Steampunk Genre
- Each entry is required to be displayed on a doll stand, entrants may purchase or craft their own doll stand. Entrants may choose to minimally decorate the stand or stand base, but it is not to be used as a backdrop. Dolls with stands that take up too much horizontal space (significantly more than the width of their doll) may face disqualification.
- Entrants are not required to be present during judging.
- Entrants are required to drop off their dolls for display in the Masquerade area during drop off hours on Friday or Saturday (times listed above). Dolls will be displayed in a Masquerade display area, this area will be directly supervised and watched by a Doll North Staff member at all times during operational hours. Attendees may photograph your doll in this area, but your dolls will at no time be touched or bumped by attendees. The dolls will be stored in an area that is locked overnight on Friday and Saturday along with our Charity Raffle and Prize Dolls, this area is only accessible by the Doll North coordinator, Crowne Plaza Office Manager, and select hotel staff.
- All participants will be required to produce at least one reference picture that clearly depicts their chosen character or inspiration for the outfit they have created. (Further details are given in the judging breakdown)
- Participants may not reuse cosplays previously entered in a Doll North competition or in any other judged competition, this includes but is not limited to conventions, online competitions, and company competitions.
- The Doll North Masquerade Reps reserve the right to eliminate anyone from competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience or other entries, or for any other reason deemed sufficient. Flagrant or repeat violations of the rules may result in a ban from future competitions at the Doll North Masquerade Reps discretion.
Valid Doll Types
The following doll types are valid for entry in the Doll Masquerade:
- Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls (Resin and Vinyl)
- Non-Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls
- Pullip Dolls
- Blythe Dolls
- Monster High Dolls/Even After High
- Momoko Dolls
- Dollfie Dream Dolls
- Obitsu Dolls
- Azone Dolls
Please note: Out of respect for doll artisans, distributors, and sculptors that support Doll North we ask that recasts are not entered in the Doll Masquerade. Recast dolls identified in the Doll Masquerade will be disqualified.
The Display Component is worth 80% of your evaluation.
Outfit: Outfit components can be handmade or purchased, greater points will be awarded to entrants that have hand crafted their outfits. If you have included purchased items in your outfit you must list the items on your registration form. You will be judged based on workmanship, execution, and adherence to the overall theme.
Accessories: Items not expected to be handcrafted such as wigs, shoes, eyes, hardware, doll stands and belts will be judged for their adherence to the theme material and how well they incorporate with the entire outfit. Bonus points may be awarded for handmade items such as wigs, shoes, doll stands and eyes.
Props: Points can also be earned for prop creation when applicable to the theme material, only props that have been handmade will impact the Display Component.
Face Up: Bonus points can be awarded to dolls with customised face ups to match their title inspiration.
Example of the Doll North Masquerade Scoring Rubric
The Reference Component is worth 20% of your evaluation.
Contestants must include one single 4” x 6” card to accompany your entry. This card must include at least one color image of your character or theme inspiration. We recommend including this card in a small frame or stand, if a stand is not provided it will be displayed flat by your doll. Other items you may include on your card:
- Fabric Samples
- Additional Inspiration photos
- Draft sketches
- A few written notes of stand out items you feel the judges should notice.
*Doll North will post a few sample cards to our social media as examples prior to the con as examples.
The judging panel will consist of esteemed individuals of notable standing in the doll community. Judges will be announced at the event to avoid favoritism or tampering.
Doll North, in partnership with our very generous 2015 sponsors, will be awarding 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes for each size category. We will also be awarding participation prizes for the young fan division.