The Comic Market is open to amateur 2D paper media artists only. This area is for artists who wish to sell prints, small paper media merchandise, and do on-the-spot commissions for convention attendees.
Who classifies as a registered artist in the Comic Market?
A registered artist is an individual whose name appears on the Comic Market registration form and who has fulfilled the following conditions:
- The individual has signed the Policy and Contract Agreement;
- The primary registered artist will represent at least 50% of the merchandise on the table they are registered to.
- Their registration has been confirmed by the Comic Market Coordinator.
Please note that tables cannot be filled by individuals whose names are not registered to the Comic Market.
Comic Market Artists must be of amateur level, meaning that:
- The artist is representing his/her individual body of work — without the use of a representative or agent — and has excluded any commercially published works or works represented by a commercial publisher;
- The artist is using the table to display his/her artwork and skills to the public as a hobby and not as a main source of income/revenue;
- The artist must be at least 14 years of age by May 22, 2015.
The Comic Market will be located next to the Dealers Room in the Toronto Congress Centre.
Each artist may apply for one table maximum, no exceptions.
An artist table measures approximately 2’ x 6’ and can have a maximum of two (2) chairs.
- Table with a convention badge costs: $145.00 CAD
- Table without a convention badge costs: $95.00 CAD
You may purchase your secondary artist or helper’s badge through the Comic Market if he/she has not pre-registered. Please refer to Artist Helper/Secondary Artist Section for further information.
Artist badges must be visible at all times when the artist is inside the convention as per agreement with the Anime North Convention Policy. Even if the individual is cosplaying, he/she is required to follow this rule without question.
Tables may ONLY be set up by the primary artist and his/her helper/secondary artist. You may not bring in non-artists (i.e. anyone without an artist badge) to help you set up. If additional help is needed, volunteers designated by Comic Market Staff will be available during setup.
Artist Helper/Secondary Artist
The option to add an Artist Helper or a Secondary Artist to a table will be available after the Comic Market Lottery Results are posted and you are confirmed a table.
Please note that an Artist Helper or a Secondary Artist must also meet the requirements listed in Registration Requirements, and have the required information ready for submission when requested. Artist Helpers do not need to submit any artwork samples.
Table Cloth Rental
You are welcome to bring and use your own table cloth as Comic Market tables do not come with a table cloth.
If you require a table cloth to be provided by the Comic Market, you must pay a rental fee of $10.00 CAD during sign-in. You may collect $5.00 CAD of this fee upon returning your table cloth to the Exhibitors Information table.
If you do not return your table cloth, you will not receive $5.00 CAD back. In addition, if the table cloth is not returned in an acceptable condition (i.e. without any physical damages like tears and cuts from box cutters or scissors, or cosmetic damages like traces of permanent marker), you will be required to pay an additional $30.00 CAD in damages. This policy carries over to the plastic coverings present on the tables as well.
If the outstanding fee is not addressed in a timely manner, your application for future artist tables will be automatically denied.
Each artist who wishes to apply to the Comic Market must:
- Not be registered to a Pro Plaza table or be on the Pro Plaza waiting list.
- Not be registered as a Primary Artist in the Crafters Corner or be on the Crafters Corner waiting list.
- Not be registered to sell their work in the Dealers Room, and/or have any work or merchandise represented for sale in the Dealers Room on consignment.
- Provide links to 2 finished and signed art samples along with their lottery ticket request.
- Have a website for your represented work.
- Indicate if you have pre-registered to the convention ahead of time or if you are purchasing your membership with your table.
- Note: If you have purchased an Anime North Membership ahead of time, you must supply your ticket number, located on your Eventbrite ticket. In the event that your number is pulled from the lottery, you will be required to attach a copy of your EventBrite Anime North TICKET (i.e the PDF sent to you after purchasing your membership via e-mail) to your Registration Package.
- Represent his/her own body of work and not act as a proxy or representative for another artist.
- Represent at least 50% of the merchandise on the table.
- Supply a preliminary merchandise list.
- Have read and understood both the Anime North Convention Policy and the Comic Market Policy and Contract Agreement for 2015. Failure to do so will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table application and future applications to the artist areas.
- Have confirmed that the applicant(s) be at least 14 years of age by May 22, 2015.
- Be in possession of a Government-Issued Photo ID (e.g. health card, driver’s license, passport, etc.) on May 22, 2015 for the sign-in process. Please be aware that using false identification or lending your ID to someone else during sign-in is a criminal offence. This will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table and the denial of future applications to the artist areas.
Please Be Aware: Multiple applications will result in the automatic denial of an applicant, along with any individuals with records of cheating and/or policy breaches in previous years. If reported with evidence that the artist has cheated and/or has breached any of the convention and/or Comic Market policy, you will no longer be able to apply for any of the artist tables in future years.
If you identify yourself a Trans* (i.e. transgender, intersex, genderqueer or otherwise) artist, there will be a portion on the online lottery application form so you may inform** the Comic Market Staff of any concerns regarding your legal and your gender expression names. This is NOT for artists who wish to put their nicknames on their badges; this applies ONLY for trans artists.
**N.B.: This is for legal and administrative purposes and will not affect your eligibility to the Comic Market.
Anime North’s Comic Market is a full random lottery.
To submit a lottery ticket request, an online form will be posted at the top of this page for the applicant to fill out on Friday, February 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST until Saturday, February 28, 2015, 9:00 PM EST. Please review the listed requirements in the section above as you will need to supply the information during that time.
Lottery numbers will start being assigned the afternoon of Friday, March 6, 2015 to Saturday, March 7, 2015. If you do not receive a lottery number by 7:00 PM EDT of March 8, 2015, contact Comic Market Staff immediately!
Results will be posted on the Anime North Message Boards on March 9, 2015 at 9:00 PM EDT. This post will be linked in the Comic Market Section of the Anime North Website.
The Comic Market no longer accommodates Artist Groups or Art Clubs. Applications are open only to individual artists.
Registration and Payment
Once you have received confirmation for a table, your table registration form along with the Comic Market Policy and Contract Agreement 2015 will be sent to you.
Open access to convention attendees (times are subject to change):
- Friday, May 22, 2015: 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM EDT;
- Saturday, May 23, 2015: 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM EDT;
- Sunday, May 24, 2015: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT.
Sign-in information will be supplied to the artist participants in their application package. Please review it carefully once you receive it.
Sale and Display of Merchandise
Artists may sell and create their art and merchandise in the Comic Market, so long as the content sold at their table does not include copyrighted images that are already licensed by other companies.
Only the artwork of the artists registered to the table may be sold at that table. You may not represent any artist that is NOT present at your table or registered with the Comic Market at any time.
Exception: The sale of collaborative doujinshis, art books, and original comics is only allowed if the collaborating artists are present at the convention OR a waiver form is produced — one that is signed and dated by all artists involved — allowing the sale of the item at Anime North 2015. Note that this exception does NOT include collaboration prints.
Merchandise Prohibited from Sale
Craft, 3D merchandise, and non-paper media are not allowed to be sold in the Comic Market.
Clarification: paintings done on a canvas or canvas board, laminated paper magnets, Mylar/paper buttons, Japanese-style paper-based masking tape, acrylic case/laminated paper art key chains are allowed.
Examples of prohibited items include tote bags, shrinky dinks, vinyl, decals, resins or plastic media, pillows, t-shirts and other apparel, jewelry, plushies, etc. Please refer to the Crafters Corner for the sale of craft merchandise;
Comic Market Artists may not sell any craft item commissions behind a Comic Market table just as Crafters Corner Artists are not allowed to sell illustration commissions behind a Crafters Corner table;
Text heavy images on buttons, bookmarks, or stickers are not allowed for sale in the Comic Market. Buttons must contain at least 50% original artwork, and all text must be handwritten. Proof in the form of a screen capture or PDF may be required.
Clarification: buttons with only the name or appellation of the character portrayed are allowed, provided the focus is the artwork;
Solicitation buttons such as “Will Yuri for Yaoi” and “Free Hugs” are not permitted for sale in the Comic Market;
Buttons with emblems, symbols, logos or other copyrighted insignias are not allowed. This includes ‘Reboot’ buttons, ‘My Little Pony’ Cutie Mark buttons, and other such illustration-only designs on buttons;
Any work or merchandise with copyrighted materials and/or trademarked logos and/or designs, regardless of whether or not the work is original.
Fan works of any Disney, Marvel, Pixar or Star Wars characters are not allowed to be sold in the Comic Market (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean, Spiderman, WALL-E, Labyrinth, etc). Stating that you did not know at the convention despite signing this contract will result in the immediate forfeiture of your table;
‘Homestuck’ and ‘Welcome to Night Vale’ fan works are not permitted for sale in the Comic Market in accordance to the wishes of the creators;
Replication of existing artwork and merchandise such as official artwork from other licensed creations or artworks depicting trademarks or copyrighted logos are not allowed and considered copyright infringement. These actions are prosecutable by law;
The resale of food, used goods, or retail items (like pocky, art books, or doujinshi made by non-registered artists) is not allowed. If you wish to do this, you must purchase a Dealer’s Table. Please note that you may be fined by the Toronto Congress Centre if you are caught selling food outside of the Dealers Room;
The sale of sexual paraphernalia of ANY sort is prohibited in the Comic Market.
In case of doubt, please contact the Comic Market Coordinator for approval of your product(s) with a photograph of the product in question.
Photography Prints and Photo-Manipulations
Photographs and photo-manipulations may only be sold if the model is the artist. Photographs and photo-manipulations of inanimate objects may only be sold if they were taken by the artist and are not stock photos or modifications of existing stock photos. The artist may be requested to provide evidential documentation for any questionable print(s) and/or photo(s).
Proxy Selling of Merchandise
The Comic Market emphasizes that an Artist must not sell any artwork or merchandise made by other artists. Failure to comply will result in the forfeiture of the participant or participants’ table(s), and future applications by all parties involved will be automatically denied.
If you wish to sell your work through a representative, please refer to Anime North’s Gallery Momiji for more information.
Print collaborations are only allowed for sale in the Comic Market if they involve a maximum total of two (2) individual artists who are registered and present at the Comic Market. There are no exceptions to this rule; waivers will not be accepted from artists that are not present in the Comic Market.
Doujinshi & Fan Fiction
Doujinshi to be sold in the Comic Market must contain 85% art. Fanzines or fanfictions are not allowed to be sold in the Comic Market, although original illustrated novels are. A signed waiver is required from all artists who have participated in the creation of the doujinshi or illustrated novels.
Artists may set up their reserved space as they see fit as long as it is safe, stable, does not interfere with other artists’ spaces and/or violate any Anime North AND/OR Toronto Congress Centre regulations. The reserved space is limited to the area provided by the convention.
If your display falls or harms another participant or attendee, you will be asked to take the display down immediately.
Balloons are not permitted inside the venue and may not be used for displays. You will be asked to remove these from the premises immediately, and pay for any fines issued by the venue.
Prohibited actions surrounding displays are as follow:
- Attaching anything to the wall/glass surfaces by tacks, pins, tape (or by any other means);
- Drilling holes, driving nails, hooks, screws or tacks, or making any alterations to any part of the Center or its equipment, including the tables;
- Taking up a collection in public areas or allowing soliciting or loitering;
- Using helium balloons as a give-away item or as part of a fixed display.
Displays overhanging into other Artists’ tables, doorways, corridors, safety exits or any other area outside the reserved space will NOT be allowed.
Display of Adult Material
Artists may NOT display material depicting nudity or sexual conduct unless it is covered or displayed in such a way that minors cannot view explicit material. Adult material must not be accessible to minors in any way. No adult material may be sold, given, or distributed to a minor. The acceptability of adult material displays is at the sole discretion of the Comic Market Coordinator. Display content (such as images and signage) must not be derogatory in nature (i.e. racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive to the general public).
This rule applies to all artwork on display at your table. Thus, you may NOT display any commission work that violates the above restrictions.
Approval of Adult Material
If you are selling any work in this category, you are required to bring a display copy of your work to the Comic Market Staff information table where your work will be stamped with a rating of 18+ or PG13.
- If your work received an 18+ rating, it cannot be openly displayed on the table or be within the reach of minors. Such works can only be viewed by individuals over the age of 18 upon presentation of a valid photo ID. Please note that showing and/or selling items which contain adult content to minors is punishable by law.
- If your work received a PG13 rating, you may openly display it on your table. The stamp allows security and convention attendees to know that your work has been approved for display by the Comic Market Coordinator. Please make use of this procedure to avoid problems during the convention as failing to do so may result in the loss of your table.
Protection of Valuables
Artists are responsible for their own property, merchandise, and money. Under no circumstances will either Anime North or its agents be held liable for loss or damages including but not limited to merchandise, equipment, or revenue.
The Toronto Congress Centre will be locked down at the end of every night; however, it is still the responsibility of the artists to look after and ensure safe storage of their personal property.
All participants MUST obey both the Anime North Convention Policy and Comic Market Policy and Agreement Contract for 2015. Blocking hallways, aisles, and fire exits will not be tolerated. Any behaviour that disrupts the convention or the premises, or is considered by Anime North as damaging to individuals, property, or the reputation of the convention will result in immediate loss of any Comic Market privileges, loss of membership, and expulsion from the convention. If you have any concerns during the convention, please bring them to the attention of the Comic Market Staff.
Please note that Anime North reserves the right to revoke or deny the application of individuals with records of serious offenses in any of our artist areas from previous years.
Failure to abide by the following rules may result in the loss of your table without refund.
Behaviour not acceptable in the Comic Market includes (but is not limited to):
- Selling a table to another individual;
- Taking chairs from other artists;
- Sitting and/or selling behind tables not assigned to you;
- Allowing someone not registered to the Comic Market to sell at your table. Doing so is a breach of contract. The tables are only rented to the artists who have specifically registered for the area and signed the Comic Market Policy and Contract Agreement for 2015;
- Selling your convention badge to another individual along with the table rented to your name;
- Lending your convention badge to another individual not registered to your table;
- Lewd behaviour, intimate displays of affection, and touching inappropriate for a family atmosphere will not be tolerated in the Comic Market;
- Failing to follow the rules noted in the Anime North Convention Policy;
- Harassment of Comic Market Staff, Anime North Staff, Anime North Volunteers or other participants (e.g. disrespecting the staff’s authority, inappropriate language and/or behaviour, etc.);
- Applying for or signing in for a Comic Market space under a name not your own;
- Posing as a registered artist by use of their identification with or without their permission. This is a case of identity fraud and/or theft, and is punishable by law;
- Offensive emails to Anime North Staff members, mass trolling (continuous posts of offensive messages) directed to Anime North staff members in electronic forums.
Reservations for Comic Market tables are allocated at the sole discretion of the Anime North Comic Market Team. Anime North is in no way obligated to provide tables to any person, persons, or group, and reserves the right to decline applications from any person, persons, or group which have violated the Code of Conduct specified above.
All complaints, conflicts, or discrepancies concerning the Comic Market Staff and/or another Artist should be directed to, and only to, the Comic Market Coordinator.
Comic Market Coordinator/Exhibitors Director:
Please wait 48 hours for a response when sending inquiries to these e-mail addresses.