Anime North 2014 will be held on May 23-25 at the Toronto Congress Center (650 Dixon Road), International Plaza Hotel (655 Dixon Road) and Sheraton Airport Hotel (801 Dixon Road). Some additional events will be held at other locations, as detailed below.
This document contains information of interest to both first-time and long-time attendees of Anime North, and reviewing it before the convention would be appreciated.
Convention passes are SOLD OUT for the full weekend and Saturday-only, and these will NOT be available for purchase at the door. Only FRIDAY-ONLY and SUNDAY-ONLY passes will be available for purchase at the door.
Events at the convention will run from the following times. Note that registration will open earlier, especially on Friday (see registration schedule below).
- Friday: 5:00 PM - 1:30 AM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM - 1:30 AM
- Sunday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
If you have pre-registered for the convention, bring your registration e-mail with you to the Registration Desk. If you have lost/misplaced this email, you can bring photo ID instead, in the name that the admission was purchased under.
The Registration Desk will be located at the Toronto Congress Center just inside the main entrance, the Hall ABC doors. Registration hours will be:
- Friday: 1:00PM - 9:00PM
- Saturday: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
- Sunday: 9:30AM - 4:00PM
Weekend admissions and Saturday-only admissions for Anime North are now SOLD OUT, and will NOT be available for sale at the door. Single-day admissions for Friday and Sunday will be available at the door.
Cash only will be accepted; no cheques, credit cards or debit cards.
Single Day prices are as follows:
- Friday: $35 CDN / $35 USD
- Saturday: SOLD OUT
- Sunday: $35 CDN / $35 USD
Children 13 years of age and under are admitted for half-price of the corresponding adult admission, but must be accompanied either by a guardian 18 years or over, or a guardian 16 years or over with a letter of permission from the child’s parents.
Children 6 years of age and under are admitted free, but must be accompanied by a guardian 18 years or over, or a guardian 16 years or over with a letter of permission from the child’s parents.
Note that your membership badge (which you will receive at registration), will give you access to all convention events in all buildings, with the exception of food functions (cafes, Moonlight Ball, Saturday Brunch, which have additional costs) and the Masquerade, which requires a wristband to attend (see below).
Your membership badge must be displayed at all times. There will be a $20 Replacement Fee for any lost convention badges. If you lose (or find) a badge, go to the Info Desks at the Toronto Congress Center, located Hall D.
Public Transit and Parking
To reach the convention via the TCC, take the Laurence 52 bus west from Lawrence West Subway Station, getting off at the City View Drive stop, or take the Martin Grove 46 bus north from Kipling subway station, getting off at Dixon Road, and walking west for 3-4 minutes to the Toronto Congress Center.
If you are driving, there is free parking at the Toronto Congress Center. Please note however that there is no overnight security at the TCC, and leaving your vehicle there overnight is not permitted. The hotels will charge $12-$14 a day for parking.
Please see our Programming page for a description of our major events, plus our Schedule will be available to download before the convention.
Following is an overview of the major events going on this year at Anime North 2014. All attendees are highly encouraged to read your Program Book and Pocket Program (which you will receive when you register) which will have more details and any last minute changes.
Toronto Congress Center
Events at the TCC will run at the following hours:
Friday – Building Open Generally from 5 PM – 10 PM
- Registration: 1 PM – 9 PM
- Comic Market, Crafters Corner, Pro Plaza, Photo Alley: 5 PM – 10 PM
- Gallery Momiji: 6 PM – 10 PM
- Dealer's Room: 5 PM – 10 PM
- Nominochi (Flea Market): 7:00 PM – 10:30 PM
- K-pop Kigurumi Dance (Hall A): 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- J-Rave Dance (Parking Area): 8 PM – 1 AM
- Tabletop Gaming: 6 PM – 10 PM
Saturday – Building Open Generally from 10 AM – 10 PM
- Registration: 9 AM – 8 PM
- Comic Market, Crafters Corner, Photo Alley, Pro Plaza: 10 AM – 8 PM
- Gallery Momiji: 10 AM – 8 PM
- Dealer's Room: 10 AM – 8 PM
- J-Pop Dance: 8:30 PM – 1 AM
- Tabletop Gaming: 10 AM – 10 PM
Sunday – Building Open Generally from 10 AM – 5 PM
- Registration: 10 AM – 4 PM
- Comic Market, Crafters Corner, Photo Alley, Pro Plaza: 10 AM – 5 PM
- Gallery Momiji: 10 AM – 2 PM
- Dealer's Room: 10 AM – 5 PM
- Tabletop Gaming: 10 AM – 5 PM
Major events at the TCC are:
- Dealer’s Room: 400 tables of anime, manga, and much more, all for sale and waiting for you. Open all weekend in Halls F and G.
- Comic Market and Crafter’s Corner: Approx. 250 amateur artists display their work and wow you with their talent. Open all weekend.
- Pro Plaza: Come and see our artist guests.
- Gallery Momiji: Displaying professional and amateur artwork alongside special guest displays, with pieces for sale at auction and prints for sale in the Gallery Store. Open all weekend in Hall F.
- Photo Alley: Amateur and professional photographers take your picture.
- Anime Themed Wrestling: In association with Great Canadian Wrestling Expo (www.GCWE.com) and Wyldstar Comics. Friday at 6 PM and Saturday at noon in Hall D.
- J-Pop and J-Rave Dances: Dance Friday and Saturday nights away from 8 PM – 2 AM with our non-stop Dance Parties.
- Concerts: Our Japanese Musical guests (DaizyStripper, Hoshi Furu, Rose Noire, Sol Ardour) perform in Hall C on Friday and Saturday evening. Please note that Hall C is only accessible from the doors on the east side of the TCC, not from the rest of the convention (see the TCC map in the Pocket Program).
- Autographs: Come and get a memento of our Guests of Honor. Autograph times will be listed in the Pocket Program.
- Nominochi: A Flea Market of used anime, manga, and assorted merchandise. Friday in Hall B from 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
- Cosplay Chess: Our anime-themed, live-action, chess battles.
- Charity Auction: Our Guests of Honor will help raise money for Sick Kids Hospital with an auction of anime merchandise. Sunday, noon in Hall E.
- Mechayard Wars: Build your own model from our junk pile Sunday afternoon.
- Otakubaloo: Music and dancing on an outdoor stage. West side of TCC.
- Nagata Shachu: Japanese Taiko Drumming performance. Outdoor stage on west side of TCC, Saturday 3 PM – 4 PM.
- Toy and Model Display: In Hall E.
- Tabletop Gaming, GO, and Gaming Demos: At the Gaming tables at the TCCStage (Fri) and in Hall B (Sat/Sun). See the pocket program for the complete schedule.
- Aerial Performer: Aerial hoop artist Miranda Tempest will perform for your amazement. In Hall D on Saturday and Sunday.
Please note that Hall C, where our concert events will take place, must be accessed by the doors on the east side of the TCC (please see maps in your pocket program). Hall C cannot be accessed from the rest of the convention Halls.
International Plaza Hotel
Events at the International Plaza begin at 5 PM on Friday, and 10 AM on Saturday and Sunday. The con closes at 5 PM Sunday. Your Pocket Program will list exact times for events.
- Opening Ceremonies: Come by the Plaza Ballroom at 4 PM Friday and kick off the con!
- Panel Discussions: Attend one of dozens of discussion on earth-shattering topics (such as “Who’s the cutest girl in anime?”).
- Masquerade: One of the convention highlights, our Saturday evening costume pageant extraordinaire! See Attendance notes below.
- Skit Contest: See our attendees act, dance, and try to sing (with varying results). Friday night at the Plaza Ballroom.
- Comedy Improv with the 404s: The hilarious 404s are back for another year, and will perform on Friday and Sunday afternoons, and Saturday evening.
- Game Shows: A roster of interactive events such as Anime Jeopardy for fans to get involved in.
- GO Gaming: Learn and play the ancient Japanese board game. Friday and Sunday free play, Saturday 19x19 tournament. Hotel Sout Lobby, downstairs.
- Anime Music Video Awards: See the results of this year’s Music Video Contest.
- Videos: Sit in a dark with 300 of your friends for old stuff, brand new stuff, and just plain weird stuff.
- Café De*Lish: Our own Maid Cafe. Terrance Room on Saturday 12 PM – 6 PM. Note that there is additional admission to this event.
- Lolita Tea Party: Another café event, on Sunday afternoon in the Orchid Café.
Masquerade Attendance Information
In order to attend the Masquerade, it is required that attendees obtain a wristband in order to be guaranteed entrance.
While this event is free, this procedure is necessary to ensure that we do not exceed the capacity of the Plaza Ballroom used, and to spare the attendees from possibly lining-up in advance and not gaining entry due to the demand.
Please note that we cannot guarantee your entry to this event prior to the con itself, even if you have pre-registered. You must pick up a wristband at the con.
To attend this event, please go to the Masquerade Desk (South Lobby Coat check, in the International Plaza Hotel) to obtain a wristband (see your Pocket Program for the location and times).
Finally, note that a set number of wristbands and tickets will be handed out at each time slot, to ensure that some are available on each day.
Events at the Sheraton begin at 5 PM on Friday, and 10 AM on Saturday and Sunday. The con closes at 5 PM Sunday. Your Pocket Program will list exact times and locations for events.
- Yaoi/Yuri North: Panels, events and videos devoted to yaoi/yuri fandom and queer lifestyle in general, with all night events and contests. 18+ event.
- Manga Library: Sit down for a bit and read one of the thousands of volumes available, covering 1200 series and every genre imaginable.
- Fighting Games & Tournaments: Duke it out with Ultimate Marvle vs. Capcom 3, Super Smash Borthers, and many other titles. Tournaments hosted by AN and TorontoTopTiers. Sign-ups start Friday 4 PM.
- BeyBlade Grand Battle Tournament 2: Hosted by the World Beyblade organization, qualifiers from all over North America will gather and do battle.
- League of Legends Tournament and Fan Event: 16 teams of Summoners will battle for fame and fortune in an epic best of 5 match set championship streamed live. Also participate in our BYOC fan event (in conjunction with the LAN Party).
- Gaming Cosplay Contest: Show off your best video game cosplay on the Ambrosia Stage. Friday 6:30 PM
- Retro Arcade: Classic console gaming. Contests and prizes.
- Mario Kart Tournament: Race against other fans in multiple Mario Kart renditions. Sign-ups Sat / Sun 10 AM.
- DDR & Rhythm Game Room: Play DDR, Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music, and more!
- LAN (BYOC) Free Play: Play League of Legends, Hearthstone, and more against others in our fully networked LAN environment with 90+ stations.
- Rockband: Get the beat and show off in our Rockband Idol.
- Console Gaming: Games of all genres on consoles of all types. Show off your skill by clobbering others.
- LARP: Live Action Role Playing. Make foam swords and fight (in character) in a battle royale for fun and a Grand Prize!
- Workshops: We’ll have workshops on drawing, cooking, mock martial arts, and more! See Pocket Program for schedule.
- Gaming Dealers: Dealers specializing in gaming items (TCG, board games, video or consoles) will be ready to take your money and provide you with fun.
Crowne Plaza Hotel (33 Carlson Court)
Doll North, a meet-up of panels and events for BJD, Pullip, Blythe and other doll collectors, will be running at the Crowne Plaza Hotel (across Dixon from the Sheraton) in the Algonquin Ballroom on the lower level. Events will run all weekend.
Radisson Suites Hotel (640 Dixon Road Court)
There will be additional cafes this year at the Radisson Suites Hotel, just east of the TCC behind the Tim Horton’s and Swiss Chalet.
The cafes will be held in the Radisson Room on the 2nd floor. There will be additional fees for these events.
- Café Nocturne: Our Butler Café returns. Saturday 6 PM – 11:30 PM, Sunday 12 PM - 2:30PM
Marriott Hotel (901 Dixon Road)
The Marriott Hotel will host our Moonlight Ball on Friday night. This is a formal costume dance.
There will be a limited number of tickets to the Moonlight Ball available for purchase at Anime North, at the Thursday night pre-registration pick-up at the Doubletree Hotel and near the Info Tables at the TCC on Friday from 1 PM - 5 PM. They will then be available at the door of the dance beginning at 7:30 PM.
The Moonlight Ball will be held at the Marriott Airport Hotel (901 Dixon Rd.), starting at 9 PM on Friday, May 23rd. There will be shuttle buses running from 7:30 PM to 2 AM from the Doubletree - Sheraton - Marriott
Tickets are $40 per person, which includes admission, group instructional dancing, demonstrations, buffet, games, dancing, costume contest, prizes and more!
Please note: dress code in effect. See the Moonlight Ball page on the Anime North website for full details
Other Items of Interest
If you are a costumer with any sort of large prop or weapon (facsimile or otherwise) you must first read our Weapons and Large Props Policy and check-in with our Weapons Master when you arrive at the con. The Weapons Master will be located in the Toronto Congress Center behind the Registration Tables.
LOST and FOUND will be handled by the inforation tables in each venue. At the end of the con, all lost and found items will be turned into the International Plaza Hotel, please contact them at 416-244-1711.
A Shuttle Bus (school bus) for use by the attendees will be circling between the Doubletree Hotel, Sheraton Hotel, and Toronto Congress Center at approximately 20-30 minute intervals between the following times:
- Friday: 6:00PM - 11:00PM
- Saturday: 10:00AM - 11:00PM (2 buses will be in operation)
- Sunday: 10:00AM - 5:00PM
The bus will stop in front of each hotel, and under the water tower at the TCC near the Hall F entrance.
If you require aid at the convention, please ask one of our Operation Services (security) personnel or an Anime North staff member. Both will be identifiable by distinctive badges and armbands (for OS staff).